The Race Disparity Unit (RDU) and Centre for Data Ethics and Innovation (CDEI) began a partnership in March 2019 at the start of the CDEI’s review into bias in algorithmic decision-making. The RDU is a UK government unit which collates, …
The CDEI believes that the government should introduce a mandatory transparency obligation on all public sector organisations using algorithms that have a significant influence on significant decisions affecting individuals. Our report published last week suggests definitions for these terms. But whilst a transparent approach is vital to building a trustworthy environment, we should not assume that greater transparency from public sector organisations will inevitably lead to greater trust in the public sector.
Financial companies are increasingly using complex algorithms to make decisions regarding loans or insurance - algorithms that look for patterns in data which are associated with risks of default or high insurance claims. This raises risks of bias and discrimination …
Who gets to decide where the boundary lies between national security concerns, and an individual's right to privacy? Are the right guidelines in place for policing's increasing use of technology and data? These were some of the issues discussed at this week's lecture hosted by RUSI.
Related content and links
About this blog
The CDEI uses its blog to share regular updates about its work. It has published articles on a range of issues relating to the use of data and AI.
- Monitoring how public attitudes towards data and AI vary over time
- Addressing barriers to responsible innovation
- Enabling trustworthy innovation by assuring AI systems
- Helping recruiters to innovate responsibly with data-driven tools
- Continuing to improve Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (ED&I) at the Centre for Data Ethics and Innovation (CDEI)
- Monitoring how public attitudes towards data and AI vary over time March 30, 2022
- Addressing barriers to responsible innovation December 17, 2021
- Enabling trustworthy innovation by assuring AI systems December 8, 2021